Uses of Baloxavir Marboxil
Baloxavir marboxil is used to treat some types of influenza infection (‘flu’) in adults and children 12 years and older who weigh at least 40 kg (88 pounds) and have had symptoms of the flu for no longer than 2 days and who are otherwise healthy or are at high risk for developing influenza-related complications. Baloxavir marboxil is in a class of medications called polymerase acidic endonuclease inhibitors. It works by stopping the spread of the flu virus in the body. Baloxavir marboxil helps to shorten the time that flu symptoms such as a stuffy or runny nose, sore throat, cough, muscle or joint aches, tiredness, headache, fever, and chills last. It will not prevent bacterial infections, which may occur as a complication of the flu.
Side Effects of Baloxavir Marboxil
Some side effects of baloxavir marboxil can be serious. If you experience any of these symptoms, call your doctor immediately or get emergency medical treatment:
- difficulty breathing or swelling of the face or throat
- swelling of the arms, hands, feet, and legs
- hives or itching
- new red skin lesion or bump
This medication may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medication.
Warnings & Precautions
Before taking baloxavir marboxil:
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to baloxavir marboxil, any other medications, or any of the ingredients in baloxavir marboxil tablets. Ask your pharmacist for a list of the ingredients.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what other prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, you are taking or plan to take. Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.
- do not take antacids or laxatives containing magnesium, aluminum, or calcium, calcium supplements, iron products, or vitamin or mineral supplements containing calcium, iron, zinc or selenium with the medication.
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- tell your doctor if you have recently received or are scheduled to receive any vaccines.
Dosage Of Baloxavir Marboxil
Baloxavir marboxil comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It is usually taken as a one-time dose with or without food. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take baloxavir marboxil exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it other than prescribed by your doctor.
Do not take the medication along with dairy products such as milk or yogurt or with calcium-fortified drinks.
If you feel worse or develop new symptoms while taking baloxavir marboxil or if your flu symptoms do not start to get better, call your doctor.
Ask your pharmacist or doctor for a copy of the manufacturer’s information for the patient.
Keep all appointments with your doctor.
Do not let anyone else take your medication.
It is important for you to keep a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines you are taking, as well as any products such as vitamins, minerals, or other dietary supplements. You should bring this list with you each time you visit a doctor or if you are admitted to a hospital. It is also important information to carry with you in case of emergencies.
All information has been provided courtesy of MedLinePlus from the National Library of Medicine and from the FDA.