Telotristat is used in combination with another medication (a somatostatin analog [SSA] such as lanreotide, octreotide, pasinreotide) to control diarrhea caused by carcinoid tumors (slow-growing tumors that release natural substances that can cause symptoms like diarrhea) in patients with diarrhea not controlled by a somatostatin analog alone. Telotristat is in a class of medications called antidiarrheal agents. It works by blocking the formation of a certain natural substance in the body that is released by the carcinoid tumors and causes diarrhea.
Side Effects Of Telotristat
Telotristat may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- swelling of your hands, feet, or legs
- decreased appetite
Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of these symptoms, stop taking telotristat and call your doctor immediately:
- abdominal pain
Telotristat may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medication.
Warnings & Precautions
Before taking telotristat:
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to telotristat, any other medications, or any of the ingredients in telotristat tablets. Ask your pharmacist for a list of the ingredients.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking or plan to take. Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.
- If you are using short-acting octreotide (Sandostatin), use it at least 30 minutes after taking telotristat.
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had liver disease.
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding. If you become pregnant while taking telotristat, call your doctor. If you are breastfeeding while taking telotristat, call your doctor if your child becomes constipated.
- if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking telotristat.
Dosage Of Telotristat
Telotristat comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It is usually taken with food three times a day. Take telotristat at around the same times every day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take telotristat exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Keep all appointments with your doctor.
Do not let anyone else take your medication. Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about refilling your prescription.
It is important for you to keep a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines you are taking, as well as any products such as vitamins, minerals, or other dietary supplements. You should bring this list with you each time you visit a doctor or if you are admitted to a hospital. It is also important information to carry with you in case of emergencies.
All information has been provided courtesy of MedLinePlus from the National Library of Medicine and from the FDA.