Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate. The effectiveness ratings for MANGOSTEEN are as follows:
Possibly effective for…
- Serious gum disease. Applying a gel containing 4% mangosteen powder to the gums after a special cleaning helps reduce loose teeth and bleeding in people with serious gum disease.
- Weight loss. Taking a product containing a mixture of mangosteen and Sphaeranthus indicus (Meratrim) 400 mg twice daily seems to help people who are obese or overweight lose weight.
Insufficient evidence to rate effectiveness for…
- Tired muscles. Drinking mangosteen juice 1 hour before exercise doesn’t seem to improve how tired muscles get during exercise.
- Menstrual disorders.
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs).
- Other conditions.
More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness for these uses.
Side Effects Of Mangosteen
- When taken by mouth: Mangosteen is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken by mouth alone or in combination with Sphaeranthus indicus for up to 12-16 weeks.
- When applied to the gums: It is POSSIBLY SAFE when applied to the gums as a 4% gel.
Warnings & Precautions
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking mangosteen if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
- Bleeding disorders: Mangosteen might slow blood clotting. Taking it might increase the risk of bleeding in people with bleeding disorders.
- Surgery: Mangosteen might slow blood clotting. Taking it might increase the risk of bleeding during or after surgery. Stop taking 2 weeks before surgery.
Dosage Of Mangosteen
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
- Weight loss: 400 mg of a product containing a mixture of mangosteen and Sphaeranthus indicus (Meratrim, Laila Nutraceuticals) has been taken twice daily for 8-16 weeks.
ON THE GUMS:
- Serious gum disease: A gel containing 4% mangosteen has been applied to the gums following a special cleaning of the teeth and gums.
Consult your doctor or pharmacist.
All information has been provided courtesy of MedLinePlus from the National Library of Medicine and from the FDA.