Overview Of Physical Medicine And Rehabilitation
Physical medicine and rehabilitation is a medical specialty that helps people regain body functions they lost due to medical conditions or injury. This term is often used to describe the whole medical team, not just the doctors.
Rehabilitation can help many body functions, including bowel and bladder problems, chewing and swallowing, problems thinking or reasoning, movement or mobility, speech, and language.
Commonly Associated With
Many injuries or medical conditions can affect your ability to function, including:
- Brain disorders, such as stroke, multiple sclerosis, or cerebral palsy
- Long-term (chronic) pain, including back and neck pain
- Major bone or joint surgery, severe burns, or limb amputation
- Severe arthritis becoming worse over time
- Severe weakness after recovering from a serious illness (such as infection, heart failure or respiratory failure)
- Spinal cord injury or brain injury