Uses of Bacillus Coagulans
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate. The effectiveness ratings for BACILLUS COAGULANS are as follows:
Possibly effective for…
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Clinical research shows that taking Bacillus coagulans daily for 56-90 days improves quality of life and decreases bloating, vomiting, abdominal pain, and the number of bowel movements in people with diarrhea-predominant IBS. Other clinical research shows that taking a specific combination product (Colinox, DMG Italia SRL) containing Bacillus coagulans and simethicone three times daily for 4 weeks improves bloating and discomfort in people with IBS.
Insufficient evidence to rate effectiveness for…
- Liver scarring (cirrhosis). People with liver cirrhosis are more likely to develop an infection called spontaneous bacterial peritonitis, or SBP. Early research shows that taking a combination probiotic containing Bacillus coagulans and other bacteria three times daily, along with the drug norfloxacin, does not decrease a person’s risk of developing SBP.
- Diarrhea. Early research in babies 6-24 months of age with diarrhea shows that taking it twice daily for up to 5 days does not decrease the duration, frequency, or quantity of diarrhea.
- Diarrhea in children caused by a certain virus (rotavirus). Early research in newborn babies shows that taking it daily for one year decreases the child’s risk of developing rotavirus diarrhea.
- Gas (flatulence). Early evidence in people who have gas after eating shows that taking a specific combination supplement containing Bacillus coagulans and a blend of enzymes daily for 4 weeks does not improve bloating or gas.
- Growth of bacteria in the intestine. Early evidence shows that using a specific probiotic product (Lactol, Bioplus Life Sciences Pvt. Ltd.) containing Bacillus coagulans and fructo-oligosaccharides daily for 15 days of every month for 6 months might modestly decrease stomach pain and gas in people with potentially harmful bacteria in the intestine.
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Early research shows that taking it daily for 60 days in addition to normal treatment can reduce pain, but does not reduce the number of painful or swollen joints in people with RA. Bacillus coagulans also does not improve the ability to perform activities of daily living in people with RA.
- Serious infection of the intestines (necrotizing enterocolitis). Babies that are born very early or with a very low weight are at a higher risk of developing a serious infection in the intestines called necrotizing enterocolitis. Early research in these babies shows that taking Bacillus coagulans daily until leaving the hospital does not prevent necrotizing enterocolitis or death. However, taking Bacillus coagulans does increase the number of babies that are able to tolerate food.
- Cancer prevention.
- Clostridium difficile colitis.
- Digestion problems.
- Helicobacter pylori infection.
- Immune system strengthening.
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis).
- Respiratory infections.
- Other conditions
More evidence is needed to rate Bacillus coagulans for these uses.
Side Effects of Bacillus Coagulans
Bacillus coagulans is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken by mouth. Some research has shown that it can be safely used by adults for up to 6 months.
It is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken by mouth in infants and children. Some research has shown that it can be safely used by infants for up to one year.
Warnings & Precautions
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking it if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Dosage Of Bacillus Coagulans
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
For irritable bowel syndrome (IBS): Bacillus coagulans (Lactospore, Sabinsa Corporation) 2 billion colony forming units (CFUs) daily for 90 days. Bacillus coagulans (GanedenBC30, Ganeden Biotech Inc.) 300 million to 2 billion CFUs daily for 8 weeks. Also, a specific combination product (Colinox, DMG Italia SRL) containing Bacillus coagulans and simethicone has been used after each meal three times daily for 4 weeks.
Consult your doctor or pharmacist.
All information has been provided courtesy of MedLinePlus from the National Library of Medicine and from the FDA.